Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem and Tetris.
ALL. THIS. YEAR.
Nintendo has come out swinging in the company’s first Nintendo Direct for 2019, and given it dropped on Valentine’s Day here in Australia, I couldn’t have asked for a better gift from platform we collectively lost our hybrid virginity to.
Here’s what you need to know:
MARIO MAKER 2 IS COMING IN JUNE AND IT’S BROUGHT SLOPES.
ZELDA’S GAMEBOY CLASSIC IS BEING REMADE AND IT LOOKS LIKE PLAY-DOH.
FIRE EMBLEM LOOKS OKAY IN HD AND IS COMING ON JULY 26.
PLATINUM GAMES IS BRINGING ANOTHER NEW EXCLUSIVE WITH ASTRAL CHAIN ON AUGUST 30. NO REAL UPDATE ON BAYO 3 BUT THEY’RE “WORKING HARD.”
FINAL FANTASY IX IS OUT TODAY. XII COMING IN MARCH.
- Joker from Persona will arrive for Smash Ultimate by the end of April.
- TETRIS 99 is free for Switch Online Subscribers. Play with up to 99 players online at once.
- BOXBOY! is getting a sequel which arrives on April 26.
- Dragon Quest Builders 2 arrives on Switch on July 12.
- Dragon Quest 11, the first game announced for Switch, is FINALLY launching this Spring.
- Mortal Combat 11 arrives April 23.
- Demos are out or launching for Yoshi’s Crafted World and DAEMON X MACHINA.
- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is getting a free co-op update and adding paid DLC.
- Assassin’s Creed 3 Remastered for Switch is actually happening and (from the trailer) looks to run at about 20 frames per second.
Add this to the fact that Luigi’s Mansion 3, Animal Crossing and a new Pokemon generation are launching this year, and 2019 is looking stacked for Nintendo.
There’s plenty more news in the full Direct which you can watch here: